Public Service Recognition Week
Honoring Our Public Servants: Connecting Citizens with Their Government
May 1–7, 2016
"I Work for Government Because..." A Wordle by Andrew Krzmarzick
Since 1985, the first full week of May has been celebrated as Public Service Recognition Week. It is an opportunity for citizens across the nation to offer a simple thank you to the men and women whose work maintains and improves our communities every day.
Public service employees: We would love to hear from you! What do you like about your job? What has been a memorable experience for you? Share it using the #PSRW hashtag either on our Facebook wall or tag us on Twitter.
Community members: Would you like to say thank you to a public service employee? Here are a couple of ways to do that:
- Write a thank you message on our Facebook wall.»
- Post a message on Twitter using #PSRW to have it show in the Twitter feed below
- Print a thank you note with the Public Service Recognition Week logos
- Send an e-card
- All week: Both Applebee's restaurants in Lawrence (6th and Monterey and 25th and Iowa) will offer a 10% discount to public service employees. If you have a work ID, that's ideal, but if not, just tell your server that you're a public sector employee.
- All week: Hot Box Cookies (732 Massachusetts St, Lawrence, KS) will give one (1) free chocolate chip cookie to public sector employees who show an employment ID.
- Monday through Friday, all day: Dunn Bros Coffee (1618 W. 23rd Street, Lawrence, KS) will give a 10% discount to public sector employees - give them discount code #114 when you're placing your order.
- Friday, May 6, 2016, all day: All KU Dining retail locations (cafes, coffee shops, and snack bars) offer a 10% discount to any individual who pays with their KU ID. For faculty and staff that would include those with the KU Dining faculty and staff meal plan or any individual who has a Beak ‘m Bucks account. (Need to sign up for the faculty/staff dining plan?) FYI: This discount is year-round!
- Random dates and times throughout the week, we'll be surprising various agencies and partners with cookies. We apologize that we cannot make it to every single corner of Kansas - please know that we certainly do appreciate everything YOU do!
Need a Moment of Inspiration?
- Read the Proclamation from Governor Brownback designating this Public Service Recognition Week in Kansas (PDF)
- Check out our Storify for this week.» (Storify is a place to collect online posts into a cohesive story.)
- See our PSRW Facebook album», including pictures of our surprise cookie patrol recipients.
- Check out our Twitter feed» for #PSRW. You can even write down your thoughts on these PDF templates about why you're proud to serve or why you love public servants, take a picture, and upload it to social media with the #PSRW hashtag. (Tag us in the photo - we're @kupmc - and we'll retweet!) Get a bunch of co-workers to do it and post those pictures around the office!
- Watch videos from the Life, Well Run Campaign, an ICMA initiative. The videos» are meant to raise awareness of and appreciation for professional local government managers.
- Read U.S. Senate Resolution 441» and House of Representatives Resolution 676» - both honoring public servants for their dedication & service.
- Enjoy GovLoop and Code for America's "We Heart Public Service»" (YouTube Video)
- Read about eight outstanding chief administrative officers and assistant managers, who ICMA has highlighted this year
- See other Public Service Recognition Week videos» (YouTube Video)
- Watch John F. Kennedy's Inaugural Address video ("ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country" quote at 13:54 in video)
- Watch videos» of federal employees discussing "Why I Serve" from 2013
- Read President Obama's "Thank You" to public servants
- Find other ways to celebrate public servants in this "How to Celebrate Guide" (PDF)